August 9-11, 2019 (Saturday – Monday)
Walt Whitman Birthplace
246 Old Walt Whitman Road
Huntington Station, NY 11746
Submission Deadline: July 1, 2018
We are looking for papers that examine different aspects of Walt Whitman and his contribution to humanity. Studies relevant to culture, using any scholarly method are welcome.
Topics of interest for paper or panel proposals include, but are not limited to:
- Impact of Whitman and the domestic & international social justice experience
- Whitman’s influence on pop culture (e.g.: Breaking Bad, Dead Poets Society, The Twilight Zone, Paper Towns)
- Whitman’s sexuality
- Comparative approaches to Whitman and other poets
- Technology & Whitman
- Impact of social media on poetry & what Whitman would think of this phenomenon
- Cross-cultural influences created by Whitman’s poetry in politics, art, music and other aspects of society
- Significance of Place in Early Childhood: How the ecological landscape impacts the child
To submit a paper, email Tammynuzzomorgan@gmail.com and submit a paper abstract of 250 words or a panel proposal including short abstracts and titles of each prospective paper. Include in your submission the name, affiliation, address, and email address of each author/participant as well as their CV/bio. You must specify any special AV or scheduling needs when submitting your proposal.
If you wish to pursue financial grants to present, we will be glad to provide a letter to help support your grant seeking.
Co-Artistic Directors & Event Coordinators Cynthia Shor (WWBA Executive Director) & Tammy Nuzzo-Morgan (2017 WWBA Long Island Poet of the Year)